Sunday, December 2, 2012

Passion

The patio garden is an unending source of wonder for me. So many questions. Why does one schefflera plant always put out six leaves to a stem, and the other five, or seven? Ah sweet mystery of individualism.  

And why am I visited by so many Gulf Coast fritillaries on sunny mornings? I do know the answer because I looked it up. They come to lay eggs on the leaves of my passion flower vines, the the sole and exclusive source of nutriment for fritillary larvae. But how do they find their way to my patio? And why passion flowers? And how long has this been going on anyway?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Passion Flower so much! Where I come from they're called Maypops & I used to see them everywhere in the woods. Do you get seeds from them? If so, would you share? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Maypops," I like that! Will look for seeds on the next bloom. Happy to share if the caterpillars don't get 'em. A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passionflowers are gorgeous. I may have to plant some ;-) Hope all is well Arthur ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, friends. See "Life Cycles of the Fritillary" for more on this beautiful relationship: http://www.sasionline.org/default.asp?go=fritillary/fritillary.html

    ReplyDelete